Re: Dot-language maps

From: George Greer (greerga@circlemud.org)
Date: 10/24/01

On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, Henrik Stuart wrote:

>Tuesday, October 23, 2001, 5:19:29 PM, you wrote:
>
>> Cool! Must go play...
>
>  Nothing like a bit of relief from the everyday chores. :o)

I was already playing with context-free grammars and regular expressions
with lex and yacc.  Although that's not something people generally 'play'
with.  Makes for a much nicer parser though.

>> Hm...wonder how badly it'll choke on the entire world being fed to it...
>
>  Apart from the fact that if your world has enough rooms dot might
>  want to output a graphics that is larger than it can handle, but
>  apart from that it should be doable. :)

It ended up a 1.5 megabyte PNG after taking 500 megabytes of RAM to
generate.  Unfortunately, the image was 16000x12000 so I couldn't actually
view it even with 128 MB RAM and 800+ MB of swap.

>  I know a proper mapper that puts exits north on the upperside of the
>  node would be a plus :)  unfortunately dot doesn't handle this very
>  well.  If I get a break from my school projects I'll write a
>  quick'n'dirty graphics library that can do this. :o)  Apart from
>  that, other suggestions are welcome.

I'm going to see if I can make a zone-to-zone transition map, one that
contains all the exterior rooms as well as those rooms necessary to connect
them within the zone.  That might take a while...

--
George Greer
greerga@circlemud.org