Re: [CODE]Your opinion on new spell method

From: Mike Stilson (mike@velgarian.sytes.net)
Date: 12/09/01

On Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 01:51:55AM -0600, Jeremy Wheeler wrote:
>> There's no good way to check on it.  The only thing you can do is go
>> through each chain lightning structure and remove the character from the
>> hit list when they're extracted (extract_char_final).
>
>Maybe this seems wrong to some people, but does a victim necessarily
>have to be excluded from being hit again?  If you're trying to write like
>the AD&D spell, it has the possibility(worst-case scenario) of bouncing
>back and forth between two people, until the spell is exhausted.
>
>What if you simply kept one value in the spell, keeping track of who was
>last hit?  That person would be immune from the next hit, but could be
>hit again afterwards. (In fact, if the spell could follow the current victim
>from room to room, it would open up a whole new range of possibilities.)

The original implementation of mine followed the ad&d method, but I
never finished it that way.  What it did was to basically bounce back
and forth randomly on the target list, decreasing in power and draining
mana until the mage stopped it or damage dropped to < 1.

after laughing hysterically at how it wound up working the first time,
it got changed.  It wasn't quite what you'd expect, and wound up working
more like a plague affect than anything else.  And also, one of my
builders showed me 3 or 4 ways it could be exploited that I didn't
really want to hard-code around.

-mike