Re: str_cmp / strcasecmp

From: Daniel A. Koepke (dkoepke@circlemud.org)
Date: 02/17/02

On Sun, 17 Feb 2002, George Greer wrote:

> strcasecmp doesn't necessarily exist.

More precisely, since we've had this debate with someone else, there is no
standard C function for doing case-insensitive string matching.  Period.
strcasecmp() and stricmp() are extensions with varying origins.  You
cannot rely on them being portable.

> I also made str_dup only exist if strdup doesn't.

I don't think this is a good idea.  Part of the point of str_dup() is that
it uses CircleMUD's memory management and thus exits with a descriptive
malloc() failure error rather than simply returning NULL and crashing.

-dak