Re: CircleMUD 3.0 Ripe Beta or Next Version

From: Julian Buckley (caniffe@caniffe.net)
Date: 06/13/02

Hello list,

> You can comment on:
>         http://www.circlemud.org/~greerga/working/coding.doc.patch
> if you like.

I believe lots of people would be willing to assist in this seemingly
mammoth task (hey, it has to be - it's been years in the making); however,
what needs to be established is just what direction Circle Admin wants
coding.doc to take.

Ideally, in the future we'd all love to say "Read the FAQs + coding.doc"
for 80% of the answers - however, I still believe Circle requires a bit of
skill, imagination and determination; and lets face it, some people do
lack some, if not all of those.

Coding.doc in my view should contain example code (obviously) - however,
it should be explained to the death, line by line, using as many of the
common circle functions as possible.

A section on gdb (or your debugger of choice) also needs to be included
(if not already, can't remember how detailed coding.doc currently is).
One of the biggest problems I've seen in the past are people not knowing
what a debugger is for starters.  Then there's people who know it a little
bit, but don't provide enough information.  Maybe examples on how to use
it, and what information to provide to the mailing list should commands
"go bad" (evil, evil commands).

The "WTFaq" and other documents existing around CircleMUD over the past 5
years have made inroads to the above, but perhaps coding.doc can take it
that little bit further.

That being said, please put my name down for final editing of the
document.

How exciting though, a complete coding.doc =)

Regards,
-J.