Re: Thoughts on Room Extra Descriptions

From: Torgny Bjers (artovil@arcanerealms.org)
Date: 06/15/02

On 02-06-15 20.39, "Ken Ray" <kenr86@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:
> OK, that is all good, and adds to the atmosphere. However, if someone types
> in "take sign", the response is that there is no sign there.
>
> Questions:
> 1) Do most people use extra descriptions in this way to add further
> information, or do you go with "non-takeable" objects, despite their
> presence being very obvious to the player?
>
> 2) Should there not be an addition to the "do_take" logic that if the
> player's location does not contain the object to be taken, the list of
> keywords for the current room is checked, and if a matching keyword found,
> the response is "<keyword>: You can't take that!" rather than the default no
> found message?

Hey,

The solution is simple.  Compromise!  I place a sign object in the room, but
I also add an extra description to the room that has the same name as the
object, and fortunately, when they type 'look sign' it grabs the extra
description before the object (or did I change that from stock behavior?).

Works splendidly. Also, if you want, you can add a NO_DISPLAY flag to hide
it from the list of objects that are shown when the player enters the room,
so they cannot see it there, and have to read the room description.  That's
what I've done at Arcane Realms to hide bookshelves and such, though I tend
to leave the signs visible to make it easier for those that walk around.

Hope this helped.

Regards,
/Torgny