Re: Capturing Infinite Loops

From: Daniel A. Koepke (dkoepke@circlemud.org)
Date: 06/17/02

On Mon, 17 Jun 2002, Mythran wrote:

> So, my mud goes into infinite loops sperratically sometimes.  So far,
> I have been unsuccessful at tracking down this darn bug.  Anyone have
> any ideas on how to capture infinite loops?

If you find it running in the infinite loop, attach gdb to it and see
where it's stuck at.  If you're never around to catch it, then you might
try having a program to periodically check if CircleMUD has become locked
up and send SIGSEGV to it (to get a core file for later inspection).

I hacked together a quick example which I linked off of the mostly barren,
equally hacked together:

  http://www.circlemud.org/~dkoepke/

It seems to work for me, but YMMV.

-dak