Re: CircleMUD 3.0 Ripe Beta or Next Version

From: Daniel A. Koepke (dkoepke@circlemud.org)
Date: 06/17/02

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, David Cole wrote:

> Such as SMAUG has done, system.dat etc instead of hardcoding
> something, doing a make and rebooting, why not do a dat file and
> reload it instead of make/reboot.

If we're going to blue sky, I'd prefer to just add a scripting language
and soft coding things like the class system so that they can be
completely changed on the fly.

> Player files, object files, house files, binarie just erks me.

A database would be better, in the long run.

> And finaly cutting back on the files that are there, IMOTD MOTD, why
> can't these be called from help.hlp or something?

Yuck.  We could also put all the code in one big file, but that just makes
it harder to find what you want.  Reasonable modularity is a good thing.

> If I make suggestions please don't think that I'm demanding more.

I don't think anyone's under the impression that CircleMUD is a flawless
bit of software that cannot be improved on.  The tricky part is agreeing
on what is and isn't an improvement.

-dak