Re: Dice Function

From: Jason Yarber (JasonYarber@hotmail.com)
Date: 07/09/02

Ok, from my experience on muds. most muds don't follow the D&D standards.
You'll notice what I'm saying if you look at the mobs or objects on most
muds, they are almost always too powerfull according to D&D standards.
Also, according to the D&D standards, experience is only charted up to level
18, after which it usually adds only 20k for each level, variating between
each class.  It's actually very few muds that do follow those standards.
But as the D&D manuals clearly state, they are only guidelines, not to be
followed to the letter.  Whether you use a dice simulating formula, or a
even-chanced random formula is entirely up to you and how you want your game
to act.  From my experience with computers, i've noticed that they tend to
generate numbers in the mid level, way more than numbers to the extreme low
or extreme high.  Meaning simply, if your going to use the even-chanced
random formula, to get the results of a dice roll from 1 to 10, chances are
you'd get results between 4 and 7, a lot more than 1 to 3, or 8 to 10.  But,
by using a dice simulation formula, you tend to get similar results, but it
does vary a bit.  With a dice simulation formula, you do tend to get the
extreme results a bit more often, because the computer is dealing with
smaller numbers.  The larger the difference between the low and high numbers
you feed the pc's random functions, the more you will end up with the
central(main) numbers.  To put it simple, using a dice simulation, allows
you to increase your chances for an extreme roll.