Re: Planned OasisOLC Enhancements

From: Mythran (kip_potter@hotmail.com)
Date: 08/11/02

Comments Inline

From: "Shane P. Lee" <tacodog21@yahoo.com>
> I'm glad someone is finally taking up the gauntlet on this.

Yeah, me too :P

> You mentioned that you were using OasisOLC for bpl14; As
> memory serves me, George hadn't include the generic olc
> routines way back then (am I wrong George?) and a LOT of
> handy-dandy functions have been added since. After a quick
> perusal of act.build.c (not part of the current package),
> you'll notice that Samedi had already coded in "partial"
> deletion of objects and such. As near as I can tell though,
> the objects weren't "really" deleted, just removed from the
> The main problem I see with deleting objects and rooms is
> the search for the existing items. For instance, what would
> happen if 'Playera' had a 'super sword of justice' in his rent
> file, and you deleted it? Is it possible to go ahead and
> remove the sword from his rent file without damaging the rest
> of it? Or what if 'Playera' had his loadroom set to a room you
> deleted?
> I'm sure that if I took a look at objsave.c and interpreter.c I
> would probably find that these instances are already covered,
> but I'm feeling a bit lazy right now :-)
> Oh yeah, will Mythran need permission from Samedi to use the
> functions from OBuild? You guys have probably already worked
> that stuff out off-list. Just being nosy I guess...

Hmm...yeah, I have printed the entire OasisOLC and GenOLC files.  Looks
interesting.  As of right now, I removed a few erraneous checks, added a
Delete option for rooms (In the redit menu), and added the listing commands.
(rlist, olist, zlist, mlist, tlist).  I did this last night until about 6 AM
this morning (whew, got to tired, gotta sleep ya know :P)  Anywho, I will
add an option somewhere to allow the impl to turn on or off the deleting of
objects from pfiles.  This would NOT corrupt the playerfile, if it is done
right.  All we would have to do, is load each player in the playerfile, then
save to a temporary file.  Close the current playerfile, copy the new file
to the old, then open the new playerfile globally.  Anyone see anything
wrong with this?  Now, with room deletion...if you take a look at the code,
it will only load the player to the room IF the room exists....also,
deletion of rooms/zones are not allowed if they are needed by the mud (zones
0, 12, 30) (rooms in zone 0, room 1204 and 3001).

What are some current bugs in OLC that needs fixing up?  Also, any more
comments on what else should be added/removed from the OLC package?  So far,
everything is looking good for the CVS of CircleMUD and the patch goes in
smoothly.  :)  Hmm.....global buffers are going to be removed...if there is
a problem with that, let me know...

Mythran