file 'modified' dates [NEWBIE?]

From: Shane P. Lee (tacodog21@yahoo.com)
Date: 08/28/02

Sorry about the "newbie?" tag, but this may very well be a
newbie post. I'm not very familiar with the capabilities of
C, so I'm not sure when a coding question is newbie or not.

ANYWAY, I've got a question I was hoping someone on here could
answer for me. I want to check all the files in a particular
folder (Linux server) and read their 'last modified' dates.
I know that Linux tells you, I'm sure that any decent OS would,
but I don't know if there is a library function that does this
already. If not, could someone tell me how to go about doing
this myself?
I know that "ls -al" in bash (or shell?!?) sends you the directory
listing with the last-modified dates, but I don't want all the
extra information this provides, just the date and name of the file.
I don't need actual code, just a basic idea of how to ask Linux.
I'm also hoping to avoid using pipes and child-procs if at all
possible.

-FIRE

=====
http://finance.yahoo.com