Re: Running circlemud on Redhat 7.0

From: Mike Stilson (mike@velgarian.sytes.net)
Date: 09/04/02

On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 04:24:37PM +0200, Templar Viper wrote:
>Ok, this subject might be a little offtopic, but knowing that there are probably alot of
>linux guru's around here that are running CircleMud, I'll give it a try anyway. :)

It's been discussed here before..

>I've recently installed Redhat linux 7.0, whereas I was using cygwin before on my
not 7.3?

>windows '98 system. Now one of my question is, what are the best settings for running
>circlemud in linux? I would like it to start circlemud when booted, I've tried putting
>commands in some startup scripts, but the problem is that most of these wait untill the
>autorun script is finished before continueing.

You almost have it right, just append a ' &' at the end of the line
running the script (this'll return immediately and put the task into the
background.  The problem with running it this way, (assuming you aren't
using su/sudo to run the script) is that your mud is now running as
root.  This is a VeryBadThing (see below).

>    Are there more things I should be aware of running a mud? I've put up a firewall, is that
>enough?

Well, for added security, you might want to make a new restricted user
(something like "mud" or "mudadmin" or whatever), and run it that way,
something like, say, "su - mud -c bin/autorun.pl &" in rc.local.  I'm
not a fan of that though, I find it easier to just log in as the mud
account, "nohup bin/autorun.pl &" and logout.  I don't know of any
exploitable buffer overflows in circle (compiling with -Wformat=2
screams quite a lot though), it tends to crash instead.  Also, do NOT
run it as root (well, unless you really know what you're doing and you
NEED to bind to a privileged port, then you still need to drop root
privs ASAP).  In any case you should NOT be running as root during the
normal operation/playing of the mud.

As for firewall, you should be running one anyway.  Make sure the mud
port is open or you won't be getting many players.

-me