Re: Even more dynamic spec procs?

From: Patrick Dughi (dughi@imaxx.net)
Date: 09/10/02

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, Mike Stilson wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 03:28:01AM -0500, Patrick Dughi wrote:
> >        Kinda curious about what people feel about the popularity of text
> >muds lately..  if they're going downhill, vanishing, etc.  They rocked in
> >the early 90's when I started, but now I have to explain what they are to
> >kids who can't remember when they didn't have email.
>
> They still seem pretty good to me.  It's just a lot harder for them to
> survive.  Players run from boring ones like the plague.  It seems to me
> (like it kinda always was, just much more obvious now) that the ones
> that are doing ok are original ones, with good thought and planning into
> them, active (not sporadic or chaotic) development, and (catch-22 time)
> good playerbases.

        I wonder if the increase in attention on multiplayer RPG's is
going to help or hurt the CircleMUD community in specific?  On one hand,
it sucks the players away, but on the other, we're seeing alot of new
faces on the list; people who want to make their own muds but maybe can't
step up to writing a graphics engine just yet.

        So, less players, but more potential muds?

        Though I've been out of the MUD community proper for a while, I
haven't been noticing any new muds popping up recently.  In fact - as you
said - the only ones I notice anymore are the large muds that have been
around for a while, and have implemented a way to charge players (usually
not for playing, usually for item/stat/etc upgrades).  Those ones are even
appearing in banner ads.

        Where are all those new potential muds?  I know they're not
actually just sitting back and planning, that would be too much to ask.
                        .
                        .
                        .

        Is there something we can do to draw people in, or perhaps
consilidate our efforts to generate something new and useful which would
..augh, buzzterm, provide value added items for our players - or
administrators?

        - Win32/Xwindows 'Circlemud' Client, with nifty built-ins that
zmud/etc can't duplicate?
        - Abilitity to either travel between, or fight with other muds
(Dark Age of Camelot / B.R.E)?
        - Graphical capabilities? (no, not pueblo)

        Anything .. well.. 'minor' anyone can think of?

                                        PjD