Re: NEWBIE: Chess code fatal error

From: Patrick Dughi (dughi@imaxx.net)
Date: 09/16/02

On Sun, 15 Sep 2002, Daniel A. Koepke wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Sep 2002, Thomas Larsson wrote:
>
> > chess.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
>
> Does it provide any indication of what symbol is unresolved?  This means
> that some code in chess.c is trying to call a function or use a variable
> defined outside of it (an external symbol), but the compiler cannot find
> said external symbol (hence, it remains unresolved).
>
> You might want to double-check that your list of object files is complete
> and correct.  The included 'link' line was oddly truncated at places, so I
> could not scan through it for problems.

        Hm.  I went through the code on the site, and I couldn't find any
problems; unistd.h doesn't seem to be required by any of the code in the
patch either..

        I wish I could help, but I'd be lying.  Try to compile it through
the IDE and find out what symbol it's erroring on.  It looks like ...

> chess.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _
> circle.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved external
> NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'link' : return code '0x19'

        You're trying to call a function _() ... That probably indicates a
cut and paste error, a patch which did not go in cleanly (such as having
lines start with '+'s or '-'s), or other similiar issues.  It could also
indicate that your ouput got chopped up too ...

        Since I used some string functions, and windows likes to rename
those to start with underscores, if not renaming them altogether
(strcasecmp -> _stricmp, etc) .. that would be my first suspect.  However,
standard windows includes have macros which correctly remap the 'normal'
version of those functions to the win32 versions.

        All the same, I'd go through the patch one line at a time, and
validate that the files you have are identical.

                                        PjD