Re: Even more dynamic spec procs?

From: Mike Stilson (mike@velgarian.sytes.net)
Date: 09/20/02

On Fri, Sep 20, 2002 at 12:36:06AM -0700, Mathew Earle Reuther wrote:
>On Thu, 19 Sep 2002, Mike Stilson wrote:
>> The client portion is pretty small (40 lines of code in 2 functions and
>> a new structure), called once a minute from heartbeat().
>
>Sounds simple to implement.

Quite.

>> It opens up a persistent udp connection, and sends one small packet
>> built on the fly.
>
>No large bandwidth usage, yes?  And no security issues I'd assume?

One packet, 1024 bytes max (probably less.. it just sends your mud name,
uptime in secs, and number of users).  As for security, there's no
listening socket created.  The only security issue would be on the
server end and you wouldn't be running that.  If it catches on, once I
get a couple other sites testing it, I might need to tweak/twiddle some
things, maybe send some other information since right now I handle
ip/fqdn resolution based on the packet.  (iow: I receive the packet, and
I take the ip from it, then resolve that to get the fqdn.  I might wind
up having it send what you want the fqdn to be if you have any
aliases/redirectors).  Oops, that's one packet every 60 secs while the
mud isn't sleeping.  I can lengthen that since for now I have it
expiring muds after 15 minutes of no communication.

>> Just wondered if there's any interest in this.
>
>If this is something used by other muds, I'd certainly place it on mine
>once I'm in production. :)  (Which, according to the latest chickens I
>have my spiritual advisor slaughter will be sometime in 2005.)

It can still be considered a work in progress, and I do need some
testers.  (There's only so much you can test locally).

-me