Re: [NEWBIE] [SYSTEM-OS2] Problems compiling.

From: Jesse Becker (hawson@temperedweaves.com)
Date: 10/09/02

On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, George Greer wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Michael W. Cocke wrote:
> >FWIW - I also tried to build the same version of circle on Mandrake linux
> >8.2 - I was able to run configure successfully and I got fewer errors
> >during the make, but that failed too.  For an app that has no (that I can
> >find) pre-built binaries, the build seems awfully difficult.  What's the
> >secret?
>
> What does Mandrake do different from RedHat?

They recompile everything, optimized for Pentium (and better) x86 chips.
Things are packaged differently, and they (used to) default to using KDE
instead of Gnome.  In fact, Mandrake used to be pitched as "Redhat with
KDE".  There are some other differences regarding the installer, but
all-in-all, they are quite similar.

I've sucessufully run circlemud code on Mandrake systems, without problems
(aside from my own bugs).

--Hawson