Re: [NEWBIE] [SYSTEM-OS2] Problems compiling.

From: Daniel A. Koepke (dkoepke@circlemud.org)
Date: 10/10/02

On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Michael W. Cocke wrote:

> There are 5 modules failing to compile (amid a mountain of warnings) -
> comm.c, act.other.c, db.c, utils.c, and alias.c.  The exact lists of error
> messages are much to long to post unless someone requests them.

It's possible that the OS/2 port is out-of-date.  I don't think any of us
have a machine running OS/2 around to test on.  What version of CircleMUD
are you trying to use?

> I also tried to build the same version of circle on Mandrake linux 8.2 -
> I was able to run configure successfully and I got fewer errors during
> the make, but that failed too.

Which files did you download?  From where?  How did you uncompress them?
What did do after you uncompressed them?  The following should get you up
and running on most Linux distributions;

  $ wget http://www.circlemud.org/pub/CircleMUD/3.x/circle30bpl22.tar.gz
  $ tar xvzf circle30bpl22.tar.gz
  $ cd circle30bpl22
  $ ./configure
  $ (cd src; make)
  $ ./autorun &

If you don't have wget, use lynx or ftp.  After you do those 6 steps, if
you're still getting errors, then send them to me (via private e-mail) and
I'll take the time to comb through them to, hopefully, find the root of
the errors you're getting.

> For an app that has no (that I can find) pre-built binaries, the build
> seems awfully difficult.

Prebuilt binaries are not offered because there's no demand for them.
Most users have no use for the binaries because they want to make changes
to the underlying logic and feel of the game.  Even further, there's no
need for them because compiling CircleMUD is easily done with readily
available, free tools on a variety of platforms -- your problems,
notwithstanding.

-dak: If you're sure you're doing it right, you're probably not.