Re: [NEWBIE] [SYSTEM-OS2] Problems compiling.

From: Jesse Becker (hawson@temperedweaves.com)
Date: 10/10/02

On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, George Greer wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Jesse Becker wrote:
> >On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, George Greer wrote:
> >> What does Mandrake do different from RedHat?
> >
> >They recompile everything, optimized for Pentium (and better) x86 chips.
> >Things are packaged differently, and they (used to) default to using KDE
> >instead of Gnome.  In fact, Mandrake used to be pitched as "Redhat with
> >KDE".  There are some other differences regarding the installer, but
> >all-in-all, they are quite similar.
>
> I'm aware of those differences.  I meant in the compiling environment. :)
> Having not used Mandrake, I don't know what libraries it has, the compiler
> version, the C library version, or anything else about the specifics like
> that.

Well, let's see...

The *base* version of Mandrake 8.1 ships with the following:
        gcc 2.96
        gcc 3.0.1 (I think)
        glibc 2.2.4
        autoconf 2.13
        automake 1.4-20.p5
        binutils 2.11.90.0.8
        Kernel 2.4.8 (or 2.2.19)

Base 8.2 ships with
        gcc 2.96
        gcc 3.04
        autoconf 2.13 and/or autoconf 2.52
        automake 1.4 and/or automake 1.5
        binutils 2.11.92.0.12
        kernel 2.2.18 (or 2.2.20)

I know that there have been updates since then, specifically glibc has
been bumped to 2.2.5.

--Hawson