Re: [CODE] Continuing Serious Problems, please Help

From: George Greer (greerga@circlemud.org)
Date: 10/22/02

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, Mathew Earle Reuther wrote:

>Tried doing these things, but nothing stops the mud at any point which
>makes sense at all.  It always dies around the diskio or db.c load_player
>stuff . . . never anywhere else . . . (well, at least never anywhere else
>that I've seen, not that I can test a whole lot of other things, or even
>want to, when this is happening!)
>
>Anyone have any suggestions as to what the heck to do?

Sometimes an innocent-looking change is what causes your problems.  My
first memory corruption problem with CircleMUD was when I added an online
xname-adding function.  Except I forgot the \n after each addition, so it
kept making one big line.  Eventually that line went over the limit of what
the xname code could handle and it started corrupting memory on bootup,
resulting in random crashes.  It took me over a month to notice the 'xname'
file and trace it back to the code causing the crashes, and then the cause
of the whole problem.

--
George Greer
greerga@circlemud.org