Re: [OasisOLC] Yes Yes, almost done

From: Thomas Arp (t_arp@stofanet.dk)
Date: 11/06/02

From: "Torgny Bjers" <artovil@ARCANEREALMS.ORG>
> On 02-11-06 22.21, "The Fungi" <fungi@yuggoth.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 10:00:30PM +0100, Torgny Bjers wrote:
> >> Mythran, you need not take offense, this is a flame to Welcor.  Just
because
> >> I love him so much.  A small question, why are buildwalk and the
liblist
> >> commands included in the DG Scripts pl8 patch?  Shouldn't that really
have
> >> went in the OasisOLC patch?  Gooberhead.
> > [...]

Cool. I've never been flamed before :)

<snip from Dg readme>

> > Note that everything from the "OLC enhancements..." item down does
> > not appear to actually be *part* of "DG scripts pl 9" as it is
> > listed separately. It just happens to be *temporarily* included in
> > the patch. The implication being that Welcor will release another
> > DGS patch to go with the next version of Oasis once it is released.
>
> It's still _in_ the patch, which makes it part of DG Scripts all of a
> sudden, doesn't it?  What if I just want DG Scripts and want to patch it
up
> to pl9, but I am not at all interested in buildwalking or liblist, or any
> content help files for Oasis? :)

I'm very aware of the fact that the dg scripts pl9 wasn't clean[1]. It bugs
me a bit too, actually. The reason for this is a bit complicated to explain,
but I'll try:

Since I started developing DG scripts, I've started coorporation with The
Builder Academy (I was there all along but the place have changed admins
during the last year). My position there allows me to have many builders
stress-testing the DG script package while I'm developing - something
a lot of programmers wish for, as it shows weaknesses earlier in the
development. However, it also gives me an insight into the wishes of
builders in general - which features they wish, which things are needed
to control them, which limitations are a burden etc.

This means my test port isn't clean. It's incoorporated several other
commands that didn't find their way to the DG script package, as well as
those that did. Many, if not all, of the features I've send out in the
patch along with the enhancements to DG scripts, are asked for by
either implementors or admins of TBA, due to the obvious usefulness
to builders. They are not directly associated with DG scripts and
shouldn't actually be in the patch[2]. They were, however, useful
and some of the changes in the oasis files actually fixes crash bugs,
which have caused me problems on my test port.

> > Of course, I am not Welcor nor do I endeavor to put words in his
> > mouth. This was just my impression of the situation.
>
> Me neither, but the question remains, why add it at all, if there indeed
is
> another patch of OasisOLC coming, and he was aware of this at some level?

Content sensitive Help was originally intended for only dg scripts
(from pl 9). When I started implementing it, it just seemed obvious to
expand it right away to cover all of oasisOLC. I hope it's put into
oasisOLC on next release, then I'll make a patch just adding the dg
functionality instead.

Welcor

[1] in the sense 'dealing with only the intended subject'.

[2] Your mail(s) have convinced me to make a clean patch asap.
    It will still include the context sensitive help system
    for the script menus.