Re: Circle 4.x wish list

From: Ronald Fenner (abbadon@mac.com)
Date: 11/20/02

On Wednesday, November 20, 2002, at 02:23  AM, Daniel A. Koepke wrote:

> I'd prefer to just embed Lua, Python, Perl, and/or GNU Smalltalk.

while that would be nice it would mean that where ever you ran circle
you have to make sure that the above mentioned, with the exception of
lua,  are installed on the machine as well

>> 3. Versioning on data files so they don't have to be updated each time
>> you add something new like a new description, affect etc. they would
>> be
>> updated only when needed.
>
> There are more elegant solutions than versioning.  Some sort of tagged
> format provides for inter-version compatability.  Better than that,
> many
> structured solutions, like XML and RDBMSs (e.g., MySQL), are available
> that are more robust, better supported, and more featureful than any
> subsystem we could be (reasonably) expected to produce.

I meant versioning in a general sense was thinking along the lines of
XML files they would definitely be a tagged file and if an type (ie
room, object) were messed up within it's confines you could easily
ignore and move on the the next one assuming the messed up section
didn't invalidate the whole XML file.

Ron