Re: Unified account with many characters

From: Templar Viper (templarviper@hotmail.com)
Date: 12/08/02

From: "Torgny Bjers" <artovil@ARCANEREALMS.ORG>
> I have been sketching on a system for our CircleMUD which will allow
players
> to have one login account with multiple characters.  I thought I'd run
this
> by the list since I am having some problems with actually planning the
> system code-wise, and perhaps somebody has done something like this
before,
> and perhaps they even have code tidbits to share.

I've seen several muds with such a system, cannot recall whether they were
circlemud though. Maybe there are rom systems that do that?

> What I have decided so far:
> Make the unified accounts a configure option, that way the administrator
can
> chose if he wants the original CircleMUD system or the new unified account
> system when he configures the package.

You want it to be a part of Circlemud 4.x? Or do you want to release it as a
patch?
    The goal the Circlemud programmers set was to make Circlemud easy to
understand and simple. But simple at what? Simple at code, or a simple
engine (A simple circlemud for the players, but a well developed and
many featured code) of the game? I think things like corpse-saving, enhanced
last command and several other things that almost everyone will want should
be put in, but an option so it can be turned off. Will Circlemud 4.x contain
more features? Will it mainly be a redesign of the circlemud core? What the
general opinion about this? (This was pretty off-topic)

> If you see any immediate flaws in what I proposed, have suggestions, or
just
> think the idea plain sucks, or if you think this is a cool idea and
perhaps
> want something like this for your own CircleMUD, please let me know. Right
> now it will be coded for a CircleMUD bpl21, but it's going to be upgraded
> 3.1 before long, and as of now, most saving and loading uses MySQL, which
> can easily be altered to the ASCII pfiles and such with little fuss.
I think it's a cool idea, it's easier for immortals to keep track of
players. However,
I don't think it's a good idea to use MySQL since it would require MySQL
libraries right? Why not use ascii playerfiles instead. Anyhow, my two
cents.