[NEWBIE][CODE][LONG] Mud Crashing - Errors possibly with heartbeat?

From: Josh Harris (jharris2@ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU)
Date: 01/30/03

Okay, this is a Lord of the Rings mud and I could use a bit of help.

This is what I'm trying to do / done /and tried very unsuccessfully. . .

I'm creating the Ring of Power as a Special Procedure.

I created an Affection called GROW_EVIL.  I created a new sh_int below
mana/move in structs.h and called it evil and created the reference in
utils.h.  (this part i have no problem doing)

I think this is the part I'm having trouble with:

I tried adding a function called check_evil() in the heartbeat function.
I've looked at other source code and I referenced that.  My function I
created I think I put right in the heartbeat function

void check_evil();  <--at top

if (!(pulse % (40 * PASSES_PER_SEC)))
    check_evil();

    (i have a similar function to this called check_fishing() so I cna't
figure out why it's not working)

then for my check_evil() function I put it in weather.c just because
that's where the function I was referencing it from was at.

void check_evil() {
struct descriptor_data *d;

for (d = descriptor_list; d; d = d->next)
    if (d->connected) continue;

send_to_char(d->character, "The evil grows stronger within you.\r\n");
}

This was just a test code to make sure I had everything set up correctly
so far.  However I ran my mud, and used set evil on to turn my affections
flag on and my mud crashed a minute or two later.  When I ran it as
bin/circle it said core dump and segmentation fault when the mud crashed.

If anyone could help it would be appreciated. . .I just want to make sure
at elast this part is correct.