Quests and Godhood.... (fwd)

From: Chris (cjackson@chrisjackson.async.vt.edu)
Date: 01/25/94

> This is not a technical question... what I'm going to ask about is in part at least, a matter of opinion, but I would like
> your input on it. As regards quests, as I explained earlier, I haven't had much experience.... could anyone offer some idea's
> for how a successful quest should be setup/managed/concluded, we have run a few of the get an certain object and we'll
> give you  X gold coins in various guises, but i feel there should be more....... anybody?

This is how I play it.  It is much easier to do it that way.  I usually
load an object that isn't in the mud currently then announce the quest
and the reward (not an exact amount but a hint that its a lot or a
little bit) then when I see that the object has been taken I reward that
player.

> On a related note, what about the role which Imp.'s and Gods in general should play in relation to mortals. If a mortal
> dies in a death-trap or whatever and loses the Battle-Axe which he was saving for a week to buy, should he be
> offered some sort of compensation if he specifically seeks it? Bear in Mind, that in my situation, there are a limited number of
> players on the subnet and rules that are too harsh could possibly jeopardise the MUD.

Depends on how nice you want to be.  I currently only have a few people
steadily playing and I would help that in the case of that situation.  I
NEVER let a newbie die on his first battle.  I have a policy of casting
a few heal spells on them in the middle of battle.  Then telling them
their mistakes and helping them get on their way.  I realize this may be
difficult as the MUD's size increases, but this was the reason that I am
running the MUD, because I was helped when I was a newbie.
---
Chris Jackson                  | Chris Jackson
Department of Computer Science | 1025 Ambler Johnston Hall-West
Virginia Tech                  | Virginia Tech
cjackson@csugrad.cs.vt.edu     | Blacksburg, VA  24060-0022