Re: Circle 3.0 update (fwd)

From: VampLestat (vamp@csulb.edu)
Date: 03/28/94

On Mon, 28 Mar 1994, Eric Pilcher wrote:

> >      Since Circle is a "base" code, I don't want to go overboard on the
> >      spells, but I at least need input as to how to make the spell system
> >      balanced for a 30-level MUD.
>
> One thing that has always bothered me about Gamma is that the spells were
> never in a "pyramid" type form which is usually common to most games.
> For example, at level 1 there should be a vast multitude of spells to
> choose from, but as you level, spells become not only more powerful, but
> there are fewer to choose from.
>
> Instead we seem to have about 2 spells/level for all levels.  *blah*

While I'd agree that that a pyramid progression of the number of spells
at each level is a bit more realistic, I still think there should be a
sizable number of spells even at the high levels, so that every 15th
level mage doesnt always use "Fireball".  Its always bothered me that
every mage of the same level on a diku is ALWAYS using the same offensive
spell because there is really only once reasonable choice for a mage of
that level.

It wouldnt be that hard to basically clone some of the damage spells to
other names with slightly varied effects, so that one mage might use
fireball, while another might just choose cone of cold - just for a bit
of variety.

_O_ Ryan L. Watkins                   e-mail: vamp@csulb.edu