Re: Mage Spell List Revision Suggestion and notes (fwd)

From: Danhiel Baker (dbaker@dcs.uga.edu)
Date: 04/11/94

Jeff "Teker" Fink says:
| Danhiel Baker <dbaker@dcs.uga.edu> writes:
| > 7 Teleport w/Error
| Should this be limited to rooms in your zone?

Nah... Nice-and-random as is, and could land you somewhere nasty..

| > 17 Fly       { Self-Only! Should cost no move, and also allow boatless }
| >              { travel over water.  See waterwalk about it running out }
| If it's going to cost 0 movement points to move while flying, I think it ought
| to have a rather high minimum cost, so that it burns quite a few points.  This
| is a pretty powerful spell as is (fast typists will never be chased down).

Good point... VERY good point.. Hmm... not sure what compromise to make here,
aside from making it REALLY expensive... and maybe never get "cheaper" w/Level

| > 19 Ice Storm       { Chill Touch Area }
| > 23 Meteor Storm    { Burning Hands Area?}
|
| Need to be outdoors?

Possibly... I'll see if the AD&D equiv.s restrict it, and go from there...
Could even require bad weather for Ice Storm..

| > moded so that it will default to the spells base level if the scroll/wand/
| > etc is set too low?
|
| I think this was set up because the Diku spells reference arrays to determine
| how much damage the spell does... the originial authors didn't fill in the
| array locations below the spell level (they set them all to 0), so it should
| be easy to go through and fix... (unless Jeremy's modified that also)

Yeah - I'm just looking for a shortcut to keep from having to deal with the
adjusted base spell levels - if it defaults to the first level that spell
is offered (a simple min(x,y) should do it...) then I needn't hunt down all
the objects with the moved spells and change them...

| > ps, once I'm home I'll come up with some damage for the area effect spells..
| Please, no level * <die roll>... they are just too powerful.

Agreed!

Danny