Re: compressing circle files, etc.

From: Mr. Wizard (jsbarrow@husc.harvard.edu)
Date: 09/07/94

On Wed, 7 Sep 1994, VampLestat wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Sep 1994, Mr. Wizard wrote:
>
> > to ftp 4.5 megs?  I've ftped some really large files (I'm sure I've done
> > over 4.5 megs at one time), and its never taken nearly that long.
>
> depends on the speed of a connection... if its a ppp connection on a 9600
> baud modem, well ...

True.  Guess I'm lucky we have a better setup.

> > > mail to send the .tar.Z? or should I just try to compress again, assuming
> > > I did something wrong?
> >
> > Sure you can mail it.  Just do:
> > mail [address of person] < [filename]
>
> Your sysadmin's gonna love that one.  Mailing a 4.5 meg BINARY file.
> Good way to clogup/kill a mail system.

Good point.  You should ask your sys admin what your mail system can
handle.  Again, I guess I'm lucky our setup here can handle such requests.

> And now back to our regularly schedualed mud discussion ...
>

> _O_ Ryan L. Watkins                   e-mail: vamp@csulb.edu
>  |  Academic Computing Services       url   : http://www.acs.csulb.edu/~vamp/
>  |  CSU Long Beach - Network Support  pgpkey: finger vamp@gothic.acs.csulb.edu

||  Joshua Sky Barrow  ||| Harvard University Faculty of Arts and Science ||
|| 19 Central St., #28 ||| "If you can imagine it, you can achieve it.    ||
|| Somerville, MA      |||  If you can dream it, you can become it."      ||
|| 02143-2834          |||                                   Unknown      ||
|| (617) 666-0859      ||| E-mail:  jsbarrow@fas.harvard.edu              ||