Re: DikuEd

From: Mr. Wizard (jsbarrow@husc.harvard.edu)
Date: 09/15/94

On Thu, 15 Sep 1994, Eric Pilcher wrote:

[...]
> I recently ftp'd the official version of DikuEd from it's
> flinux.tu-graz.ac.at site, and it compiled out of the package
> with a few errors I was not able to locate and fix.  If anyone has
> a fix, let me know.  I'm using gcc on SunOS 4.1.3
>
> iedit.c: In function 'GetITVDef':
> iedit.c: 2210: warning: assignment discards 'const' from pointer target type

The characer array itv_notused is a const.  You can change it to a
regular character array if this warning really bothers you.  It won't
make a diference the way the program is written.

> dikucli.c: 80: warning: useless keyword or type name in empty declaration
> dikucli.c: 90: warning: useless keyword or type name in empty declaration

I get these tooo, and don't know how to prevent them.

> Asside from these errors, it compiles fine, and seems to run fine.  And
> I've successfully made changes and additions to iedit.c, however still
> get the warning message.

Well since they are just compiler warnings and not errors, you don't have
to worry about them.  The warnings are just given by the compiler to
bring to the coders attention that something unusual is taking place that
MAY be an error, but might also be fine (thus is not an error).  (Granted
that was oversimplified!)

> Thank in advance.
>
> ------------------------------------------------------+------------------------
> -Eric:  rasta@CSOS.ORST.EDU, gt7282c@prism.gatech.edu | mud.CSOS.ORST.EDU 4000

||  Joshua Sky Barrow  ||| Harvard University Faculty of Arts and Science ||
|| 19 Central St., #28 ||| "If you can imagine it, you can achieve it.    ||
|| Somerville, MA      |||  If you can dream it, you can become it."      ||
|| 02143-2834          |||                                   Unknown      ||
|| (617) 666-0859      ||| E-mail:  jsbarrow@fas.harvard.edu              ||