Re: A crash bug and 2 questions

From: Chris A. Epler (cepler@chris.epler.net)
Date: 02/08/95

On Wed, 8 Feb 1995, Panama N. Red wrote:

> Lastly, I wanted to make player-killing impossible.  So I went to the
> do_damage (I think that is what it is called)
>
> and put a little line of code after the shopkeeper protection code that
> said
> if (!IS_NPC(ch) && !IS_NPC(victim))
> {
> send_to_char("You can't kill players here!\n\r", ch);
> return;
> }
> This works GREAT except that if someone is poisoned it gives the
> character that message every tick.  So if they quaff a poison
> potion....it says every tick instead of you feel burning in your blood
> and suffer.......You can't kill players here!
> I assume it is doing this because the ch is also the victim when you
> quaff something.  So how do I fix this so that with objects poison works
> but when someone casts the spell on another player it just plain doesn't
> work.

Well, if your poison spell/affect causes damage... ;)  It's going to
print that you can't kill players whenever it does a call to do_damage,
right?
[ Chris A. Epler <cepler@ucsee.eecs.berkeley.edu>                     ]
[ PGP key available, finger cepler@ucsee.eecs.berkeley.edu            ]
[ Key fingerprint: F1 B0 F4 53 33 7C B8 5D  95 6A 01 7F E3 F1 07 85   ]