Answered: CircleMUD -- is it alive??

From: Jeremy Elson (jelson@blaze.cs.jhu.edu)
Date: 02/20/95

Hi everyone.  I hope you remember who I am!

I recently saw a post to one of the Circle mailing lists politely asking
what was going on with Circle.  I can't find it, but I'll answer anyway.
(BTW, I'm not on this new 'concrete' mailing list -- if the admin can see
this and wants to subscribe me, that's fine.)

CircleMUD development has been quite slow lately, because I've been
simultaneously trying to finish a B.S., hold down a system administration
job, and run my own business.  That totals 2.5 full-time jobs, unfortunately,
and just hasn't left much time for mud development.

I've gotten a lot of mail in the past month asking for help with Circle,
or asking some question.  Unfortunately, I haven't had time to respond
to any of this mail.  However, you will be happy to know that I've
dutifully saved it all in a folder and will reply to every last one of them
as soon as I have time.

Ah, time is such a fickle mistress.  Indeed, it seems that I don't have
enough of it, and am doomed to some pretty poor grades this semester
due mostly to the fact that my business has been keeping me busy 18 hours
a day ever since the semester started.  The "good" news (depending on your
point of view) is that I'll probably end up taking the semester off, since
I haven't even registered yet.

I'll suddenly find myself with vastly more time on my hands if I do end
up taking the semester off, only about half of which will be spent running
the business and my job.  Thus, I'll have some spare time, much of which
will be used for sleep (which I seem to rarely do these days), and, I
promise, much of which will be used for CircleMUD coding.

I have NOT abandoned Circle.  I love the code, I love working with it,
I love revising and releasing it, and I love hearing your responses to
it.  If I had my druthers, I'd do nothing but work on Circle all the time.
Unfortunatley, the realities of life just aren't making that possible.
But, as I said, if I do take this semester off, you'll see some pretty
damned rapid development.

Also, I now have my own Internet-connected UNIX box, so I'll probably start
up a developers-only mailing list -- a list only for veteran Circle
administrators who are willing to help me debug the production release of
Circle 3.0.  Other lists can handle newbie questions, questions about world
files, etc., but my list will solely be a code-development mailing list.

So, that's the latest.   Please feel free to write me and let me know what
you think, though unfortunately I can't promise that I'l respond quickly.

Also, please pass this letter along to anyone who you think might be
interested!!  I prefer word-of-mouth communication to newsgroup spammage,
and don't like to post to rec.games.mud.diku because I'd rather not get
flamed. :)

Best regards,

Jeremy