coding question

From: Ricky David Gibson (rdgibson@mailhost.ecn.uoknor.edu)
Date: 03/04/95

i've only been coding in C for about 2 years so i'm not even close to
knowning all the tricks of the trait yet...but to my point....
i've noticed on a few other DIKU based muds that you can type parts of
words instead of the intire word and the mud still understands what
the user is typing. ie. ki ci for kill cityguard.  even
telling to other characters online you could use the first few letters of
there character's name.  I think you probably have an idea of the point
i'm getting to.

my problem is I don't even know where to begin, to impliment this idea.
anyone out there have any ideas on how to go about coding this?

thanks,
Rick
rdgibson@Mailhost.ecn.uoknor.edu