Re: Login names...

From: Michael K. Lee (mklee@Sun2.IS)
Date: 03/13/95

On Sun, 12 Mar 1995, Jeremy Elson wrote:

> > does the telnet command send the login name of the person trying to connect?
>
> No.

about my previous posting... I take that back.
the telnet command technically does not send the username.

If you want to see how it works.
have someone telnet to a port on your machine, someone from another site

do a check for who is telnetting to your port...
forgot the command, but it will give you a number.

hmmm netstat?

then telnet to the site that is telneting to your port, connecting
to port 113, and type in the id number, and it should return
userid name.

try to get a hold of the pidentd source.
it will explain it better.

Mike