How does the gcc compiler handle '\' and '"'

From: Sean P. Mountcastle (mountcas@pluto.ee.cua.edu)
Date: 03/13/95

Sorry to bother everyone with this, but hopefully this is a quick
question (I wouldn't be asking this, but my sysadmin here didn't install
the man pages for gcc :(  ).
	How does gcc handle \ and " in print statements?  I'm trying to
put some ASCII Art in my title screen that has a lot of \'s and one or
two "'s
	I know in turbo C I can use \\ and \" but when I did this in gcc
the test program didn't run correctly (though it didn't give me the
error, unterminated char constant).
	Many thanks in advance,

	- Sean