Too many open files ... help!

From: Timothy B. Maddux (tbmaddux@eci1.ucsb.edu)
Date: 03/28/95

I'm an implementor for a circle 3.0-based mud, and we're getting an error
with the number of open files we have.  Our usage is only 20-30 sockets.
The syslog goes something like this:

SYSERR: READING OBJECT FILE plrobjs/A-E/anaximander.objs (5): Too many open files
Tue Mar 28 18:50:00 :: Anaximander entering game with no equipment.
Tue Mar 28 18:51:04 :: SYSERR: Could not open alias file alias/Sanguinius
Accept: Invalid argument

At some point it becomes impossible to 'kill' the mud process, and we have
to reboot the machine.  I'm not sure what sort of help I can get from the
mailing list, since you're not familiar with the details of our code; I
suppose I'm grasping at straws and hoping somebody's had this problem before
and found the 'mother of all patches' for it.

- tim

(Tim Maddux, tbmaddux@engineering.ucsb.edu)