Re: Purpose of this list

Spawn@KrimsonMud
Date: 04/18/95

On Tue, 18 Apr 1995, John T. Cox wrote:

> Several people have complained about the flaming on this list. Now, if I'm
> not mistaken the purpose of this list is the development of Diku/Circle code
> which would mean that many of the mailings to this list are completely
> inappropriate. Most of them should probably go to the newgroups
> (rec.games.mud.diku). Now, at the same time the flaming should really stop.
> There's no reason we should be rude to someone because they asked an
> inappropriate question, that's assuming it's inappropriate. Perhaps, either
> answering their question or pointing them to the right place to get the
> information they need and then politley informing them that in the future
> questions of this nature should be directed someplace else, wherever that
> might be, would be better. Lord knows, the net is confusing and abusive
> enough as it is, why make it worse. Afterall, we were all newbies once.
>
> Just a few thoughts,
>
> P.S.
>
> It's not in my .sig because I personally think it's tacky but stop by
> KallistiMUD and check us out, mud.peak.org 4000 (well we're usually on
> 4000 anyhow). [End of tacky plug]

Well, I did in fact point them in the right direction, and I don't think
I flamed them, not necessarily.  I told them to next time look for
yourself before you ask the question here as it saves us all time, and
for people that need to cut down on the amount of mail that goes into
their mailbox, it's saddening to miss messages because your mailbox gets
filled with questions that could have been completely avoided if the
person would have thought to look.  I've not asked one question here,
yet, but when I do (and I will, eventually), I'll bother to check into
the coding to see if I can do it myself, first.

It's both inconsiderate to people with limitations on their mailbox and
it's a waste of my time to scan through 200 messages (which accumulate
daily), with many of them being completely avoidable.

You call flaming inappropriate, but I didn't flame anyone -- and yet,
someone gives the exact same advice I gave in more words and they are
praised for this?  They say I told him to go for himself, they say it's
rude, but I pointed him in the right direction.  While the very same
person tells 'em to go look for himself?  Well, so be it.  I don't need
to defend myself or my actions.  You misinterpreted what I said to be a
flame, call flames inapporpriate, and flame me for it...

Spawn@KrimsonMud

ps. I've not flamed anyone, yet.