Re: Circle: Important: Should Circle switch to ASCII playerfiles?

From: Sean P. Mountcastle (mountcas@itchy.ee.cua.edu)
Date: 04/24/95

Jeremy,

	You have made some excellent points on why CircleMUD should
switch to ASCII playerfiles.  But, the main reason I chose Circle in the
first place was because of the space saved with binary files.

	Most (I'm not saying all) of us, who run Circle based MUDs are
either paying for a site, where we are charged for usage of system
resources (which includes diskspace), or we are running on public (i.e.
University owned computers) and have to maintain the good graces of our
sysadmins, thus a 4 meg pfile (with about 200+ players) would be better
than 10's of megs of ASCII playerfiles, which can be even more easily
edited by those who should not be able to touch them (i.e. there is an
area builder who has access to the accounts, he sees that they are ASCII
playerfiles, and makes himself an IMPL.....).

	But, as far as boards go (but don't do it for player mail) I
think they should be in ASCII text.

	Thanks for listening to my $.02

	- Sean