Re: Long item-list fix

From: Daniel [Trice] Koepke (dkoepke@global.california.com)
Date: 06/23/95

   Very invintive.  If I may be so bold to combine some of the previous
suggestions into this:

	"A * @longsword lies here."

   have 'enpluralize', or whatever interpret the '*' by taking the first
parameter passed to it (the number), and replacing it with a grouping
name..  eg., enpluralize(30, "A * @longsword lies here."); would cause
the asterisk to be replaced with something like, 'a massive pile of', as
for the '@' in front of longsword, have it check 'number_passed' > 1 and
either append an "s" or leave it alone.  That will make the change easier
and not seem so unrealistic as the MUD counting the number of objects and
showing the player EXACTLY how many are there.  Maybe even extend upon
this and call enpluralize or something from 'look' to show:

	'There is a massive pile of the longswords.'

in addition to the extra descr.  Also, keep the old format you first
suggested for more flexibility, in case you WANT something to be counted
out and shown exactly how many of them there are.

   Or, better yet, have 'number_passed' < 10 ? show '<number> longswords
are lying here, collecting dust' : 'A <grouping name> of longswords lie
here'.  Quite possible, quite thrilling, and dreadfully close to a
sollution without a grammar checker, and without having the mud eliminate
long descriptions or force them into a certain format... ;)

|  __| _ | _ ) __ ) __| Daniel Koepke           aka: Trice Sabre
|__  |   | _ ' _  ' _|  Crimson Realms (mud.california.com 1234)
|____|_|_|___)| \_\___| Email for info on the Diku NiMUD server!