'Ruining' player files

From: Idle Process (phall@sun.cc.westga.edu)
Date: 07/18/95

We're looking at changing the player stats and skills rather extensively,
and I've been looking at all the *DO*NOT*CHANGE* bits of code.  I
understand why changing the player data structures could cause problems,
but what I need is a clarification of what breaks when you do so.  If the
only problem is that our player files get nuked, that's one thing - but
if the whole shebang is affected, well, ich.  Also, if we wish to change
MAX_SKILLS, does that break everything?

I think this is a FAQ type question, but alas, I've found no FAQ - does
one exist?  I would write one, but I don't know any of the answers :)