Re: Hansth

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@california.com)
Date: 10/14/95

On Sat, 14 Oct 1995, Steven R. Nevid wrote:

> All I have to say is it is very, VERY surprising that someone like this
> could even get away with it in the 1st place. Someone on my mud, a long time
> ago, tried to pass himself off as Hans Henrick from the original Diku coder.
> I not being as gullible as some asked him to prove that he was infact who
> he said he was. He couldn't even give me his original email address..
> which btw is not even from the US, which most of u know by reading any
> Circle or Diku readme files. If the people at that mud were a little more
> cautious about who they give privs to, this would never have happend.
>
> Nuff said.

You, too?
I had someone login as Hans to my MUD before, and I was extremely
cautious.  *g*  I just asked if he'd ever heard of Valhalla, and when he
said "No, who imp's it?" I fried him.

Besides which, the login was from the US, which made me suspect, the
e-mail address they gave was wrong, and he logged in as "Hans", instead
of of using the character name in the "credits" screen (this led me to
ask if he'd ever met the coder's of Valhalla (which, would be,
coincidentally, the original DIKU I crew), *g*).

I suggest you use common sense, and if you can't figure it out for
yourself - then don't advance him, you don't need to work under the idea
that, "he is until I prove he isn't," if you can't find concrete proof
that he is who he says, then don't advance him, just say you don't want
any more coders/implementors.