Re: Event Driven Server (fwd)

From: John T. Cox (jtcox001@homer.louisville.edu)
Date: 11/18/95

I think the 1st thing you need to decide is exactly how far do you want
to go with this idea. For example on Sojourn, we've completely done away
with the "TICK". But this has a lot of repercussions. One of the largest
impacts is upon regeneration and spells. But, there are lot more things
you have to modify. To give you an idea we have 12342 events pending with
18504 allocated and we only have 230 mortals on (we run as high as 300, but
hey it's a slow Saturday). Now keep in mind this isn't a Circle code base
but is Diku modfied to hell and back. So, again my question, "Exactly, how
far do you want to go with this?"

If you want to see a fully event driven server in action check us out at:

menzo.sojourn.com 9999

P.S.
One of the things I really like about an event driven server is that it's
so easy, and far more realistic. To put the delay for spellcasting before
the spell is cast instead of after.
John T. Cox - Supervisor             | jtcox001@homer.louisville.edu
              IT, Resource Centers   | jtcox001@starbase.spd.louisville.edu
"Oh yeah!, Well I'm Princess Angelina| jtcox001@ulkyvx.louisville.edu