Re: a strange one for you...

From: Gary Waliczek (pfiler@dph.isdn.uiuc.edu)
Date: 12/09/95

On Sat, 9 Dec 1995 SROWAN@WVNVAXA.WVNET.EDU wrote:

> Ok, here's something interesting i just ran across..
> Our circle mud sometimes crashes for no apparent reason...  when i go and check
> the core, it gives me a file and line, etc.  Well i go look at the code, and see
> nothing wrong with it, so i reboot and try the same command, and guess what,
> it works without crashing.  No matter what i do, i can't recreate the conditions
> of the crash..
> for example  it crashes when an immort types go <wrong mob name>, but when the
> mud reboots and we try it again, it works...
>
> I know this sounds far fetched, but we run off a pentium 60 at the moment, could
> this be caused by a faulty intel chip?
> or do you have another solution?
>
> Steve

I've been running into the same type of thing...  I always get a
checkpoint shutdown. It happens anywhere between 1 - 5 hours of uptime. I
started logging everthing that goes though the interpreter to see what
the last command was (the one that presumably crashes it) because I'm not
very fluent with gdb, and there is nothing consistant about it. It has
crashed on echo, north, etc... many VERY common commands... the time
interval is totaly random too.  As close as I can guess is that something
with the shops seems to be causing it, because it always seems to happen
soon after someone has sold something in the shops.