Re: Code Bloat (was Re: relatively simple hack) (fwd)

From: Kenneth G. Cavness (stargoat@tic.com)
Date: 12/19/95

On Tue, 19 Dec 1995, John T. Cox wrote:

> > In message <9512190339.AA19636@homer.louisville.edu> you said:
> > >
> > >   PID USER     PRI  NI SIZE  RES SHRD STAT %CPU %MEM  TIME COMMAND3
> > > 29973 sojourn   29   0 30494 28828 3876 R    67.1 60.4 38:16 dms 99993
> >
> > codebloatcodebloatcodebloatcodebloatcodebloatcodebloatcodebloatcodebloat
> > bloatcodebloatcodebloatcodebloatcodebloatcodebloatcodebloatcodebloatcode
> >
> Nah, we're just full featured and the players LOVE it!

Full featured? Sojourn isn't best for its features. It's best because of
an incredible amount of care taken in making an incredibly detailed
world, a consistent policy of non-interference from the gods (and yet a
system of assistence available when needed), and a solid player base.

Did I mention that except for my rather &=RGODD&N coloring romps, the
color on Sojourn is sane?

As far as bells and whistles go, though, Sojourn is lacking. It actually
takes a minimalist view.

> > 67% CPU?! 30 megs ram?!  I wouldn't be boasting about that piece of software
> > engineering!
> >
> Well keep in mind we're running on a P90. Isn't Linux great?

Also, keep in mind that Sojourn, unlike any other DIKU I've seen, uses
event-driven handling, which is a _much_ more solid system than the usual
loop-iteration format of all other base Dikus. Take into account the
string-sharing between mobiles and objects, and yes, Sojourn _is_ a solid
piece of software engineering.

(Not to mention the fact that this is a program that people work on _As a
hobby_.)

Azuth@SojournMUD, menzo.sojourn.com 9999
(nah, I'm _totally objective! :P)

--
Kenneth G. Cavness                  |   http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~cavness
Associate Editor                    |   "That which is possible is not always