Re: SORTA NEWBIE AFF_WOODEN

From: Pandion-Knight (s337239@student.uq.edu.au)
Date: 05/28/96

On Mon, 27 May 1996, Chris Anderson wrote:

>  Ok, I have a spell that sets up an Affect wooden bit...
>
> Now I am currently working through two ways of making this work, and
> wondering the best possible way..
>
> I want to make it KINd of like the freeze command.. where all movemnet is
> ceased.
>
> I tried to make the spell aff_MAXMOVE, and all it  seems to do is remove the
> original move points, no added points.. I want to be able to keep the person
> from moving, because they are petrified...
>

> Now, I also want to keep them from attacking other people as well.. they are
> like a tree.. they shouldn't be able to attack..
>
> Or do very much damage.. I have started by adding a check in a lot of
> commands that checks for this wooden thing..
>
> The reason for the bit, is so that fire spells will have a greater effect on
> the person being woodd, and things like small swords will only do so much..
>
> (ever try to cut down an oak tree by hacking at it with a dagger? Never work
> out too good..)
>
> Is there an easier way to do this? How can I call the AFF without placing
> checks all over the place.. I am preatty sure that it is a BIG waste of
> space constantly checking everything..

In short you dont want them to do jack, right.

Put it in interpreter.c, find the spot where PLR_FROZEN is checked...

add something like...

if (IS_AFFECTED(ch, AFF_WOODEN) && GET_LEVEL(ch) < LVL_IMMORT) {
  send_to_char("You try, but your muscles fail to respond!\r\n", ch);
  return;
}

put a similar check in fight.c

tihs will stop the player doing ANYTHING.  Might want to invent a stone
to flesh spell.  I have :)

> Any ideas?
>
> Zippy the Wonderslug
> WWW: http://www.icom.ca/~chrisa/mud.html

Chris Voutsis

"I have a pet hangover... sad thing is I only get to see it on the weekend."