Re: Too many open files

From: Barid Bel Medar (icarus@berkshire.net)
Date: 06/03/96

On Mon, 3 Jun 1996 yeh@seas.ucla.edu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 	I'm running circle3.0 and seem to be getting errors like:
>
> SYSERR: READING OBJECT FILE plrobjs/A-E/alex.objs (5): Too many open files
> Accept: Invalid argument
>
> 	This problem only seems to occur after the mud has been running for
> a while (usually after 2-3 days uptime).  I get the feeling that this problem
> is occuring because too many sockets have been used since each socket is
> an open file.  How do I fix this problem?  Do I just recycle the socket numbers
> after a certain point or does the problem go deeper than this or is the
> problem something completely different?  Thanks in advance.

This is an operating system error (assuming there's not a bug going on
here).  It means that there are either too many players connected, you're
doing too much other stuff on the MUD's computer, or there's a point in
the code where you don't close an open file and just keep reopening it.
If it's anything but the last, you're probably out of luck, although I've
heard that people can kludge around their OS to get something like 500
file handles.  You should check over your code at saving players.  You
might also want to make sure that there aren't a whole bunch of people
just skipping out, since sometimes this doesn't seem to correctly log
them off.  In this case, you may have a couple hundred stale socket file
descriptors lying about unused.  You don't need to "recycle" these, the
OS should do that itself, but you will need to make sure they get closed.

Barid Bel Medar                               icarus@berkshire.net
Knights of the Cosmos            Shayol Ghul Resort and Health Spa
"I  am  returning  this otherwise good typing paper to you because
someone has printed gibberish all over it and  put  your  name  at
the top." - English Professor, Ohio University