OFF TOPIC: But please help :-(

From: Brian Christopher Guilbault (guil9964@nova.gmi.edu)
Date: 06/14/96

Hi guys-

Please feel free to delete this message, but if you know about UNIX
systems and hardware I would very much appreciate it if you would take a
minute to read this. It is not MUD-related except that if I can't find a
solution to this problem, I will lose mine. Well not the actual MUD, but
all of my development work...months of work. If you want to flame me for
posting this here, fine...just please do it privately. But no flame could
possibly be worse than this.

The only reason I post this here is because I have exhausted all other
means. No one is replying to my usenet posts and I need an answer. Thanks
a million guys.

						-Brian

Hiya all you question answering types-

Last night when I booted my Linux partition, instead of my friendly login
prompt I got this list of horrible sounding errors. There is no way
around it really. If I boot from the HDD I get the errors. If I boot from
the boot disk, then mount the partition I get the errors. If I boot from
the boot disk and the root disk, then mount the partition, it boots fine
but I can't get into my /home directories.

This is a fairly standard installation of 1.2 with no history of problems
at all. I am not too concerned with the installation of the OS but I
really need to get a few files off of my user's home directory. This is a
stand-alone system and I am the only user. I will probably jsut end up
formating the drive and installing 2.0 anyway, but I absolutely have to
get the files off of the directory before I do that. Here are the errors
that I get:

hda: read_intr: status=0X59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
hda: read_intr: error 0X01 { AddrMark Not Found }, LBA sect=1876496,
 sector=360464

[Those two lines repeat several times...then]

ide0: do_ide_reset: success

[The top two lines then reapeat several more times...then]

end_request: I/O error, dev 0302, sector 360464
Kernel panic: EXT2-fs panic (device 3/2): ext2_read_inode: unable to read
 i_node block-inode=45263, block=180232

[Then the system just sits. It isn't crashed, but it just sits]

This looks to me like a partition failure. Is there ANY WAY to mount the
home directory just long enough to get some files before I format the
drive? Any help at all is REALLY REALLY appreciated, as many months of
work is at stake here.

Thanks,

  -Brian

Please reply by mail and not to the group - guil9964@gmi.edu