OFF TOPIC: Severe Linux Troubles :(

From: Jeeves (philipe@[198.49.101.10)
Date: 06/14/96

Hello everyone.

I am trying to make the most out of my p133 avec Windoze, and thus I
have installed MS-DOS 6.22 and Linux.  Repartitioning my hard drive is out
of the question, unless some very good docs on FIPS are available :).
So, I installed linux with the "bare" file, and I am using the
umsdos.gz root image. Linux installed and configured just fine, with
the following exceptions:

1) It did not allow me to create any sort of boot disk during setup.
Whenever I tried to use the boot disk creation option, the screen
filled with error messages very quickly, and I was returned to the
setup screen. The error messages went by too fast to be read. There
was no option to install LILO, or I would have done that.

2) I tried using LOADLIN version 1.6 to start the system from MS-DOS.
I uttered the proper command words, "loadlin c:\zimage root=/dev/hda1
rw", and the system began to load. I was prompted to insert the root
disk, and I did so. The system proceeded to load, but after a few
seconds went into an infinite loop, droning in a monotone voice:
"child xx died with code 1000
-/bin/sh: can't load library libtermcap.so.2"

where xx is any number beginning from one and increasing
arithmetically.

What now? Does anyone know what's with that error message? Or am I
just an idiot, as I originally surmised?

Jeeves, A Butler for Hire
Creator/IMP/Builder of CalaisMUD (under development)