RE: Windows 95

From: Barid Bel Medar (icarus@berkshire.net)
Date: 06/15/96

Your margins are just a wee bit too large.  About 30-35 characters, actually.

On Sat, 15 Jun 1996, Gary Barnett wrote:

> >I think you have the right idea, by the way.  Test the MUD on Win95 (or
> >WinNT) and actually run it on a UNIX.  That's the way I'm doing it
> >(though with OS/2 instead, which is more BSD socket-compatible).
>
> I'd love to just run it under NT, but with all the additions I plan on adding to it, it's just not going to
> be fast enough under NT  -- I'm amazed at how many processor cylces NT eats up running the mud
> vs. Linux. For my purposes (being a network engineer in a Novell, NT, 95 environment it makes sense
> to use the tools I know) NT would be better, but if Linux will get the job done using a fast 486 (which I
> happen to have a spare) and NT would require a fast Pentium (I'm not giving up my new machine to run
> a mud!!), I'll use the money I'll save to take a vacation :)

Vacation?  What's that?

> As a development environment, NT/95 and MS VC is hard to beat. I know the tools well, and I really
> don't imagine that I could ever get as much done under Linux -- at least not w/o tearing out what's left
> of my hair ... Microsoft has done a bang up job on VC 4.1 -- gotta give them credit for a great programming
> environment; even if I don't like 95's memory management, or NT's huge processor/memory overhead.

Now all we need is for someone to port CircleMUD to Visual Age C++...
HINT HINT!  Of course, I need a copy first.  Well, whatever.  It
shouldn't be too terribly tough to do, with most of the OS/2-specific
code already in place for gcc.  If anyone wants to, er, loan me a copy of
VACC, I'll do it. ;p

Barid Bel Medar                               icarus@berkshire.net
Knights of the Cosmos            Shayol Ghul Resort and Health Spa
"I  am  returning  this otherwise good typing paper to you because
someone has printed gibberish all over it and  put  your  name  at
the top." - English Professor, Ohio University