Re: Is it worth is?

From: Ole Gjerde (gjerde@plains.nodak.edu)
Date: 06/16/96

On Sun, 16 Jun 1996, Hades wrote:
> Is the diffrences between ELF and .aout worth bothering to deal with all the
> hassles and bugs of the elf code? I am this close to going back to a.out.
> WHat are the actual diffrences?

What bugs have you found with ELF?  ELF works just fine for me, and most
other people using Linux, Sun and whatever else OS uses it.  For most
people, ELF is not going to make much difference, unless you want to do
some run-time link and stuff like that.  ELF doesn't have any more
hassles associated with it either as far as I know.  I got Slackware
3.0,  got the new gdb, and everything is fine and dandy.  aout is
beginning to fade away, and ELF is the new defacto(sp?) standard.
There's even been people suggesting removing aout support from the Linux
kernel altogether, this wont happen for quite a while yet, but it gives
you an idea of what aout is now.  You'll see that pretty much anything
that is sold as executable only will mostly be ELF from now on (already is).

----
Ole Gjerde
Homepage: http://www.winternet.com/~gjerde
Email: gjerde@plains.nodak.edu, gjerde@winternet.com, jander@fix.bbs.no
Studying Computer Science at North Dakota State University
"Unix _IS_ user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are."
                                                  -- Unknown/Nem Schlecht