Proposed Idea and a few questions.

From: Jeannette Townsend (starnova@radiks.net)
Date: 06/28/96

This e-mail is just a suggestion, and in no ways a flame.

A propose suggestion for newbies and experienced coders:
If one has the time, how about an experienced coder takes on a newbie coder
under his/her wing.  I am not saying to code for them, but to explain some
of the logic behind it or explain the logic behind errors.

I have not touched the code on the mud of the person that I am helping. At
first he would tell me this is the error, and I would give him an idea where
to look for the error and explain what the error message means. Now that he
runs across that error again, he has a very good idea where to start looking
and doesn't need my help with that problem.  I have been away from
programming for a while and his questions have been testing my knowledge of
C.  He happens to be a quick learner, so far I haven't had to explain
anything more than once.

Coding books don't always explain error messages or at least when I was
first learning C they didn't. I had to learn C on my own, at the time Comp
Sci majors were not offered a C programming class. This is working out great
for me, my reason for coding on a mud is to refresh my C skills. I have been
away from programming for a while and he has been testing my knowledge of it
by his questions.  He happens to be a quick learner, so far I haven't had to
explain anything more than once and I have been doing this for 1 week now.

Don't send me e-mail asking me if I would help out someone else. My time is
very valuable. My son comes first and then the mud and tutoring a friend.

Area program converters:  Anything out there that converts merc areas to
circle 3.x?

Races:  Anyone ever tried adding races to circle 3.x?

Please, no flames to the mailing list.

I have found that the average age for an implementor of a mud is 19. The
average age for a mudder is much younger.  I have found a few that are
older. I think that is why people are so quick to flame.

Just an idea,

Jeannette
(starnova@radiks.net)