Re: PUBLIC DOMAIN AREA

From: Alex (3raf7@qlink.queensu.ca)
Date: 07/06/96

> My Graveyard area (formerly of Kallisti fame) has been converted
> to Circle 2.2 and made public domain.  You will find it at:
>
> ftp://ftp2.circlemud.org/pub/CircleMUD/incoming
>
> The file name is:  grave.tar.gz

This has now been moved to the contrib/areas/ directory.  Thanks for
the contribution.

--
Erm... Yeah.  Whatever.

From icarus@berkshire.net Sat, 06 Jul 96 20:00:04 -0500
From: icarus <icarus@berkshire.net>
To: circle <circle@pvv.ntnu.no>
Subject: SEMI-OFF-TOPIC: Signal handling
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 96 20:00:00
Sender: owner-circle@pvv.ntnu.no

When signals, particularly SIGSEGV, are dispatched, is there a perceptible
delay between the generation and the receipt by the offending process?  In
other words, if you wrote this program:

#include <stdio.h>

void (*function)(void); /* this looks wrong, but you get the idea. */

void main(void)
{
  int i;

  for(i = 1; i <= 10; i++) {
    if(i == 5) {
      function = NULL;
      function();
    }

    printf("%d\t", i);
  }
}

would it be possible to get this as output:

1   2   3   4   5   6   7
Segmentation fault

I ask because this seems to be happening to me.  I consistently get a
segmentation fault after someone logs off (it's my fault, I added stuff
there), but also consistently in a different place every time.  I got so
desperate that I now have the MUD displaying a message every line of code,
since my gdb is broken, until the moment of termination.  (Well, not the
*entire* MUD; just the logoff stuff.)

It's very strange.  I've tried with both a custom and the default signal
handlers and it seems to make no significant difference.  Can anyone
provide any help as to why this is happening?

Barid Bel Medar
icarus@berkshire.net Knights of the Cosmos                     Shayol Ghul
Resort and Health Spa
"I  am  returning  this  otherwise good typing paper to you because
someone has printed  gibberish  all  over  it  and  put  your  name  at
the  top."
 - English Professor, Ohio University