Re: a couple of questions

From: Rasmus 'Con' Ronlev (raro94ab@hp4.econ.cbs.dk)
Date: 07/08/96

On Mon, 8 Jul 1996, Kevin Wing wrote:

>         Two quick things:
[ WIZLIST stuff SNIPPED, got no idea :P]

> 2.  Has anyone imped a system that sets the max exp a mortal can gain to
> less than what the need to immort.  I want to be able to control who immorts
> and who doesn't, and the way I've looked at doing this is to allow the
> mortal to get all the exp needed, except for one point, an imp would the
> advance them, based on their record on the mud.  I don't want someone that
> knows a few tricks to be immorting in two days on my mud, I want to have
> immorts that have put in their time at least.

Well, I guess you're right in some wierd way :) But if you go and examine
the limits.c file, you will find some routines that handle the XP gain.
If you have an unmodifyed version of CircleMUD 3.0 bpl8+ (I never had
anything earlier than bpl8 :P), you should be able to 'understand' that
the character will be automatically advanced through the levels untill
lvl immort, and if scoring enough XP I beleave it goes all the way to lvl
imp.

What you 'should' do, is to put a check in the routine, and simply NOT
advance the char if the char is LVL_IMMORT-1 or higher...
Alternately, you might allso want to 'stop adding xp' to the character...
which you could allso do arround the same procedure... if I'm not
mistaken, the procedure you should modify is called : gain_exp()
I might not remember correctly, and I don't have the source handy, so
maybe someone else could correct this message if I'm wrong.

Regards,
Con.

d.
--
     Rasmus Rønlev DOEK'94      WWW: http://www.econ.cbs.dk/people/raro94ab
     Student instructor         MUD: exiled.mud.circlemud.org 5000